What Your Summer Could Look Like….
Work With Us Summer 2024
Are you ready to say “YES!” to joining a talented team of men and women who are serious about having fun and helping kids learn how to be successful in the journey of growing up? Are you ready to be a part of a team that delivers award-winning programming designed to create fun memories where children and youth experience God’s love?
Here’s the truth—working at Camp Sonshine Maryland is tough. It’s not a vacation, nor is it just a job. It’s a mission; a life-changing experience that engages every part of your body, soul, and spirit. Most of our summer counselors will tell you that spending a summer here is one of the most challenging things they’ve ever done. However, they’ll also tell you that every moment was completely worth it. Through serving others, they were able to discover God’s purpose for their lives.
When you say “YES!” to Camp Sonshine, you are not only saying “yes” to making a positive impact on the lives of youth in and around Howard and Montgomery counties, you are also saying “YES!” to…
11 weeks: June 10 – Aug 23 (Counselor Training: June 1-9)
We are flexible with dates. Email us today if you have any questions about dates and commitment.
Intentional leadership Development
Every Monday we have what is called “Monday night practice” meetings, which are used to discuss areas for improvement and highlight achievements of the week. These meetings give counselors opportunities to develop leadership skills and grow into the person they are called to be.
Additionally, each housing area is assigned at least one Housing Manger and RA who provide mentorship and support outside of the camp day and will be a point person for any questions or concerns throughout the summer.
During training weeks, you learn more about Camp Sonshine as an organization and our mission to reach children and youth with God’s love. You will learn how to work with children, set expectations, work on team building skills, and grow into the person you were created to be.
The summer camp season at Camp Sonshine runs for a total of 11 weeks! Please refer to “Paid Missions” On specific commitment opportunities!
Life Changing Community
- You’ll get to attend planned weekend trips throughout the summer, which gives you opportunities to make fun memories with your new best friends!
- We have an AMAZING all staff worship service every Wednesday evening where counselors get to REFUEL as they spend time worshipping together.
- House meetings are also great opportunities to connect more with whom you live and serve.
- We have staff that come from dozens of different countries and states so you get to make friends for the rest of your life from all over the world!
- Group Counselor: Group Counselors (must be 18+ years old) work with a specific group of campers throughout the summer. This position can often vary because of our campers’ range of ages, which starts at age three to 16 years old.
- Program Counselor: Program Counselors (must be 18+ years old) are our resident “creative experts” and an integral part of our team. Program Counselors specialize in one area of activity; they provide campers with the opportunity to try new things, enjoy new challenges, and of course, have fun!
- Support Staff: Our Support Staff are people who make things happen! They’re always ready at a moment’s notice. Behind the scenes or in front, Camp Sonshine couldn’t run without our Support Staff.
- Assistant Counselor (AC): Our Assistant Counselors (Ages 16-17) serve alongside a counselor to help lead groups and activities at our Silver Spring and Germantown Locations. These roles are volunteer-based accompanied by a possible stipend and the AC’s can also receive Student Service Learning hours. This program is designed to create an environment where the AC’s learn independence, develop future skills for staff positions, and gain valuable experience in a professional work environment. The AC’s are exposed to staff evaluations, specialized training, group communication, and leadership skills. While the program is designed to simulate a work environment these roles are not staff positions and are developmentally focused.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do you offer housing for summer staff?
Our summer staff is housed in our camp houses. All our domestic staff will be placed in camp housing according to the needs of Camp.
How much do I get paid?
International and Domestic Pay Rates:
Pay rates are confidential but we know it’s very normal for people to wonder about different pay rates for what seems like the same job…
Please be aware that Camp Sonshine has a contractual relationship with multiple international J-1 visa agencies and pay rates are given to us by the agencies. We understand that the agencies have a complex formula that determines the pay rate given to us which you received before you accept a position. We also pay significant fees to the agencies which we don’t have to pay for our domestic staff that we gladly pay as we greatly value our international staff.
Domestic & Local Staff:
We want everyone to understand that there are over 21 different confidential variables that go into setting pay scales and encourage everyone to consider the wage you are offered before signing a contract. As a seasonal recreational ministry, we are exempt from minimum wage and overtime provisions according to section 13(a)(3) over the FLSA act. We know this is a sacrifice and appreciate you considering a sacrifice to help us make camp affordable for families and scholarship many families who couldn’t otherwise attend camp.
What does the Assistant Counselor (AC) program involve?
As well as having fun, impacting the lives of children and developing a huge variety of skills, this program also offers guidance for AC’s personal growth and the ability to serve others and build lasting memories and relationships.
If you are applying to be an Assistant Counselor (AC), please complete a work permit
- Assist group/activities counselors.
- Take kids to the bathroom, nurse, etc…
- Handle up to 5 campers by themselves.
- Help come up with/lead activities and devotionals.
- Aid staff members with rainy day tasks.
- Intentional mentorship & Leadership training.
- Hands-on work experience working with children.
- Free extended care (if required)
- For compensation information please contact our recruiting office.
What if I can't work every required work day?
“You never know if you don’t ask”. Go ahead and call a recruiter (301-835-2267) and see what we have available for your specific situation.
What is the hiring process?
First APPLY and then an interviewer will contact you to schedule an interview over the phone. We will let you know within 5 days of the interview what the decision is.
When will I know where I'll be working during the summer?
We will let all our staff know their placement once everyone is here during the counselor training orientation.
Where is Camp Sonshine?
Visit Our Grounds page to learn more about our locations in Maryland.
Who do you serve?
We serve children from the ages of 3-17 in our very diverse area. A lot of culture, religions, and financial backgrounds are represented in the thousands of kids that we serve each summer.
Want to learn more about what makes a GREAT camp counselor at CampSonshine? Read “You’re Hired! 3 Qualities That Will Make You an Amazing Camp Counselor.”
Activity Area Descriptions:
Whether it is swinging between trees, climbing up our crazy rock wall, or zip lining across the skies, campers love the thrill and excitement exploring our ropes courses. We are looking for staff members who are open to being challenged, very present and aware of their surroundings, great at focusing, passionate about safety, filled with energy, and flexible and with their time.
This one is for all drama enthusiasts! We are searching for funny, entertaining, passionate people who will encourage campers to be themselves and explore brand new ways of expressing themselves in a godly and fun way!
This activity requires someone with creativity, stamina, and great cleaning and organizational skills. We also desire someone who is great at prepping and preparing and enjoys having conversations with campers, assistant counselors, and staff alike.
Here at Camp Sonshine, we are searching for people with a flair for organizing, taking initiative and ensuring that all camp staff and campers have all resources they need to experience camp to the fullest. We need staff members who are patient, great with time management, and comfortable working behind the scenes.
With all the challenging opportunities at camp, Tomahawk toss presents an exciting chance for a counselor that is flexible and full of energy. This person also needs to be very safety conscious and passionate about being an excellent instructor.
As fun as this activity is, we are searching for someone who is serious about caution/safety, is constantly aware of their surroundings, and is always present an in the moments. Our paintball staff should always be prepared for their day, responsible for handling equipment, full of energy, and always paying attention to detail.
Our on and off roads go kart counselors should be detail oriented and extremely safety conscious. We are also searching for someone who shows a great amount of common sense when handling groups and go-kart materials. They should also be great conversationalists who are passionate about building bonds with campers while being fun and safe.
Whether it’s building forts or exploring the woods, we are looking for a counselor who is passionate about helping campers get dirty and build forts.
For this activity, we are in search of staff members who are very aware of their surroundings, passionate about safety, great at delegating, and a quick thinker. Our Archery counselor needs to be creative with their activity, patient with campers, and passionate about encouraging campers to be their best.
Discovery time is an important activity as it is an opportunity for campers to get to know God more through storytelling and games. That being said, we are in search of a counselor who is fun, organized, passionate about storytelling, flexible with their time, full of life, great at conversations, exciting in their mannerisms, creative in their thought processing, and willing to invest in the stories and characters involved in their activity.
This activity is all about getting dirty. We are searching for a counselor that is passionate about helping campers discover nature while being safe and attentive.
We are looking for a person who is passionate about food and cooking; someone who can make a hotdog exciting while being cautious of the open flame and allergy sensitive.
At sports, we need someone who can be patient with kindergarteners yet energetic with middle schoolers. Our counselor needs to be able to strike a balance between fun and safety, model the behavior of a team player, and encourage camper growth and relationships.
Our snack shack counselor needs to be able to take the mundane and make it lively and exciting. We are searching for a staff member with tons of fire, a fantastic attitude, good work ethic, and a great sense of integrity.