After researching, we found that there are a lot of helpful resources for families with children during this pandemic. We found that while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) currently reports that the risk of exposure to COVID-19 is low for young Americans, research on natural disasters makes it clear that, compared to adults, children are more vulnerable to the emotional impact of traumatic events that disrupt their daily lives. This resource offers information on supporting and protecting children’s emotional well-being as this public health crisis unfolds.
Amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, everyday life has changed for most people in the United States. Children may struggle with significant adjustments to their routines (e.g., schools and child care closures, social distancing, home confinement), which may interfere with their sense of structure, predictability, and security. Among the very helpful resources linked above, we believe this summer at Camp Sonshine is a great opportunity for your child to experience the love, safety, and fun they all need.
Here are our Top 5 Reasons Why Children Need Summer Camp This Summer:
Camp Sonshine helps kids unplug from technology and engage in physical activity
- Since the stay-at-home order started, children have had fewer opportunities to leave their homes, visit friends, and play sports while being quarantined. This summer is the perfect opportunity for your children to get out of the house and enjoy this summer.
Camp Sonshine helps kids learn social skills and gain Independence
- Coming to Camp Sonshine means you are joining a community that loves and supports you no matter who you are or where you come from. Through activities and group time, children find their voice and are given decisions they can make for themselves to develop confidence in themselves.
Camp Sonshine helps kids create new and valuable friendships
- One of our core values is Community. We believe life tends to go as well as our relationships and that doesn’t stop at Camp Sonshine. We believe most of our success is attested to the relationships our campers form during the summer! Every Summer we hear countless stories from families whose children have had bad experiences at other camps or struggled to fit in but after their Camp Sonshine experience they made new friends that will impact the rest of their lives!
Camp Sonshine helps kids learn valuable skills
- Our programs and schedules give your campers the opportunity to learn a wide rand of skills from teamwork to expanding their STEM abilities at our S.T.E.M program at our Specialty Camps Location. Every week we have a word of the week that is programmed into everything from activities to assembly time. Some examples of the word of the week include: ( Compassion, Confidence, Sportsmanship, Honesty, Courage, etc.)
Camp Sonshine helps expose children to the best of human character
- Camp Sonshine spends all year carefully selecting our camp counselors. We are dedicated to showing your child how to have fun, learn from others, and make friends in a safe place. Camp Sonshine allows campers to meet people from all over the world, every race, culture, and socioeconomic level.