Resources for Parents Struggling with Child Care While Working from Home
As a parent working from home, you undoubtedly have your hands full. Juggling the kids plus a full-time career isn’t always easy. This guide includes some practical tips and tools you can use to maintain order—and your sanity.
Create a Home Workspace That’s Just for You
An ergonomic home office can boost productivity and concentration.
- Invest in the basics for a comfortable home office like a chair with lumbar support.
- Add plants to your office. Research shows they reduce stress and boost productivity.
- Make sure there’s plenty of light in your work area, as this enhances concentration.
- Set good boundaries when you need to concentrate with hacks like hanging a door sign.
Get Help to Keep Your Kids Engaged
Try these hacks to keep your children engaged…
- Try these activities designed to keep kids engaged while you’re working, such as crafts, sensory play, and imagination games.
- If your kids are old enough, you can also keep them engaged with a tablet or phone. This roundup of educational apps can be a positive choice.
- Programs like summer camps can keep your children engaged and build new relationships. Camp Sonshine gets kids into the outdoors while valuing relationships, safety, and fun!
- If the above tricks don’t work, consider hiring outside help to provide proper care for your children.
Know When It’s Time for a Career Change
If your current job simply makes working from home too hard, switch it up.
- Recognize the warning signs you’re unhappy at work, like constantly procrastinating.
- Take a free career quiz like this one to see what job might be a better fit for you.
- Once you know what kind of job you want, use a template for a CV to create your educational materials.
- Another option is to start your own business. Learn about the drawbacks and benefits, from more responsibility to more freedom.
Working from home offers great flexibility. However, if you’re also trying to watch over your kids, it can be tough. Taking steps like switching jobs can enhance your comfort and make things easier.